Leadership Lake Oswego
Developing Business and Community Leaders
Leadership Lake Oswego is a unique program offered by the Lake Oswego Chamber of Commerce. It is designed to help participants
- Achieve personal and professional growth, and develop individual leadership skills and abilities: This is a unique opportunity to learn from community and area leaders who provide perspective on what they have learned about leadership in their particular domains.
- Create meaningful opportunities for businesses, organizations, and individuals to make connections and build mutually beneficial relationships: Enhanced community relationships, new marketing opportunities, and professional development for the businesses and organizations whose employees successfully participate in the class.
- An opportunity to gain professional development credits: The program offers Continuing Education Units through Marylhurst University.
- Develop insightful, civic‐oriented leaders who are interested in helping shape and direct the future of Lake Oswego: Get a closer, more personal look into your city and the many things it has to offer. Learn how to make your voice heard and your service valuable.
An Opportunity to Learn
Year one includes a series of nine
monthly sessions in which opportunities
are provided for professional growth,
personal reflection, networking, and
community awareness. Participants will
receive leadership education in both an
academic setting and a practical setting,
explore community resources, identify
issues and concerns unique to Lake
Oswego, and interact with many business
and community leaders.
An Opportunity to Lead
Year two includes an opportunity to
experience leading the new students
through their own personal and professional
growth. Graduates of each
year’s Leadership Class assume responsibility
for organizing sessions for
the subsequent year’s class. Two or
three members of the class are selected
as overall chairs for the year.
Other members team up to organize a
particular day’s session.
Apply early to secure your place in the program!
Leadership Immersion and Development Sessions
These two‐hour sessions are a valuable element of each month’s program. Leadership sessions are taught by Dr. Bill Korach, superintendent of the Lake Oswego School District, and Dr. Marci Nemhauser, psychologist. Dr. Korach is a past president of the Chamber and has taught extensively at both Portland State University and Lewis & Clark College. In addition to being a practicing psychologist, Dr. Nemhauser is an executive leadership coach, workshop presenter, and keynote speaker. Joining them is a team of professors from Marylhust University who specialize in coursework related to leadership, effective communication skills, and ethics in the workplace.
The sessions include exploration of many topics:
- Gender dynamics
- Emotional intelligence
- Human relations
- Strategic planning
- Problem solving
- Service leadership
- To fully realize the benefits of Leadership Lake Oswego, members should commit to attending every session. Business and community leaders give generously of their time and expertise as a resource for class members.
- All‐day sessions are scheduled for the third Thursday of the month, September through May. (Exception: The first session in September is two days and one night. November’s session is the third Wednesday)
- Each year the Leadership class adopts a 'Legacy Project' that allows classmates to apply what they learned throughout the year and an opportunity to give back and make a difference in the community.
An Invitation to Enroll Leadership Lake Oswego Application
If you are interested in developing leadership skills, have a desire to learn more about Lake Oswego, and want to foster beneficial business and civic relationships, then you are an ideal candidate for Leadership Lake Oswego. Please consider applying for a spot in this year’s class. The total cost is $675, and a variety of payment plans are available if needed.